BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 19, 2009

Something's wrong with this picture.

Don't get me wrong. I love Dallas, but as a worldwide destination ahead of the likes of Rome?... I'm not so sure. That's where a recent listing placed Dallas, Texas - as a destination to visit in 2009, a New York Times listing no less. Dallas is number 17 of 44, ahead of places like Rome, South Africa, Egypt, and France. Think I've gone mad? Just look here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/01/11/travel/20090111_DESTINATIONS.html

Dallas is under respected in my estimation - mostly due to the cowboy stereotypes that are way off the mark- but I don't know if I would go as far as the New York Times.

I'm especially surprised by the high ranking given by the NYT after George W. chose Dallas as his new home...starting in just a few days. You'd think they'd damn the city for that.

On the other hand, I've never really felt quite as much at home as I did in our little Oak Cliff (Dallas) bungalow...so maybe there just is something to Dallas. It seems like the city council is working together better than ever before. And Uptown has been a huge success, providing Dallas with a much needed make over. As I drive in to work every day I get the best view of Dallas on a Trinity River bridge and can't help but admire how many cranes are bringing up new buildings and how much the skyline has grown over the last 5 years.

So, maybe Dallas is beginning to get some of the credit it's due. Way to go Dallas!

But I still refuse to live there in protest for losing the Dallas Cowboys’ stadium.