BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 21, 2009

A Letter to President Obama

Dear Mr. President,

We need health care reform. As a lay person I don't know enough to know exactly what that should or should not involve. But one thing is clear to me. This government should not force me, through my tax dollars, to pay for the murder of babies. I hope you understand what the passage of a such a bill will do.

In 1850, Congress passed the Fugitive Slave Act - the turning point in our nation on the issue slavery. Many Americans did not like slavery but they were content to let is exist as long as the blood was not on their hands (slavery was someone else's problem). But when the Fugitive Slave Act passed, Americans were required by law to be "complicit" in slavery by assisting in the capture of run away slaves and the prosecution of those who helped them. It wasn't long before many idol citizens became and/or supported abolitionists. And it wasn't long before we were at war.

I'm sure Americans in 1850 are similar to Americans in 2009. They have never walked a picket line. They don't contribute money to a political cause. They don't write letters to their representative... UNTIL they are forced to. Passing legislation that uses my hard earned money to pay for abortions all but makes me complicit in the slaughter of babies. If that happens, I am silent no more.