BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Obama and Rev. Wright

I've been thinking a lot about the Presidential campaign. Here is my perspective on Obama and Rev. Wright.

My thoughts center around what I consider to be the crux of Obama's speech regarding the controversy over Rev. Wright. The crux of his speech didn't occur in my opinion when Obama rejected Rev. Wright's view of America (because there were many qualifiers to that rejection throughout the speech), rather when Obama clarified his stance by stating (basically) that he cannot reject the man Rev. Wright just like he cannot reject his white grandmother who locked her doors when African American males came near (I paraphrase).

I know where Obama was going with that comparison but I don't think it's convincing enough. After all, in my opinion, any elderly women who locks her doors when she senses danger is nothing but smart. There is however a much better analogy that Obama could have drawn that would have closed the deal for me (and possibly others) better than a comparison of his grandmother and Mr. Wright. In fact, that comparison was actually a little like comparing apples to oranges. The better analogy to draw is the fact that many Southerners are against slavery now, but won't reject their ancestors because they had slaves. They might reject slavery, but not their ancestors as a whole. I have ancestors who fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War. I do not reject their service. I know enough to know that many people fought in the Civil War for many different reasons. Robert E. Lee was after all against slavery and secession yet still led the Army of Northern Virginia. I won't get too specific, but I have people in my life of all races whom I love dearly yet I know they are racist. I have heard them making what some would consider racist comments, but I, like Obama will not reject them. I won't reject them because they are for the most part wonderful people who have loved me and inspired me with other characteristics. I reject their racism, openly, but not the whole person. Let's not forget about people like Martin Luther whose entire life and ministry should not be vilified because of anti-Semitic statements he made late in life. Those statements should be rejected, but not the man. No way. He's done too much good for the world. Who among us isn't flawed in some way?

In the end, after a little introspection, I agree with Obama's stance. If Obama feels that Rev. Wright, like all of us is flawed, but on the whole a good man, then I have no problem with Obama standing by the man.

Of course, evil racists like Hitler don't apply to this rationale because they are by definition evil to the core with no good in them.